Wednesday 2 January 2013

NEW START 2013: so far - painting with coffee.

I've actually been pretty busy lately, more than I thought I would be on the holidays. Anyway, I recently got a request from a friend to do a drawing for her. Usually I don't do many requests, especially if they're from people I'm not that familiar with or it's something I don't particularly want to draw, but they were a close friend so I said I'd take a look. She sent through a photo of a model you guys might know of.. Cara Delevingne? It was actually a photo I thought would be heaps of fun to draw, I just had no idea how to go about doing it. I started sketching her, then started again, then more sketching, then more erasing. Then another attempt, and another starting again. Just when I was about to give up I tried adding colour, cause I thought that's what was missing. I was sorta right. I did the eyes and the lips with ballpoint, pretty much the only coloured medium I'm confident and comfortable with. I had absolutely no idea how to do the skin colour, or the hair. I never do when drawing people. It is near impossible to sketch skin with pens (well, the tools I have) and it was way to hard, so I didn't even bother trying. Then I remembered about how people need to get out of their comfort zone more, express themselves in ways they're not accustomed to. I think I learnt it from watching The Voice or something, but I guess the application is universal. I hate paint, I love the effect it can have and how well it turns out and I have so much respect for artists who use it brilliantly, but it's not for me. Didn't know and still don't know how I came up with the idea at the time, but I thought I'd have a go at using coffee to paint with. I loved the affect so much. I hope it turned out alright.
Morals of today's rant; don't give up, and try getting out of your comfort zone once in a while. Revolutionary, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment